This post contains affiliate links. Books received in exchange for an honest review or promotion have been noted with an asterisk (*). As always, all opinions are my own.
2014 Summer Reading (and Writing) Plans
I’m done. It’s that time of year.
- Formal homeschool lessons are done for a couple of months.
- Therapeutic riding classes are over for the summer.
- We’re taking an OT break this summer.
- Dance lessons are over until fall.
- Regular Wednesday night activities at church are over. (Although summer activities begin soon.)
- Regular Sunday night church activities are over. (There will be scattered activities until our formal program begins again in the fall.)
Everything is winding down, and we have some uninterrupted days and evenings stretching ahead of us. And we have plans. Big plans.
First, we plan to do a lot of reading. The kids are going to participate in the public library’s summer reading program like we have every summer since BookGirl was 2. BookGirl plans to do double duty and lots of extra reading since she has challenged herself to complete the reading challenge in the latest issue of Clubhouse.
I’m going to read too. Reading is a part of who I am, and when I get too busy (like during the school year) to do it often, I miss it and begin to feel out of sorts. Some books on my summer reading list include:
- Early to Rise Experience for Moms by Andy Traub
- Moms’ Night Out and Other Things I Miss* by Kerri Pomarolli
- Blue Like Play Dough* by Tricia Goyer
- Restless: Because You Were Made for More by Jennie Allen
- By the Light of the Silvery Moon* by Tricia Goyer
- Leading a Special Needs Ministry by Amy Fenton Lee
Moms’ Night Out* by Tricia Goyer
- Chasing God by Angie Smith
- Hands Free Mama by Rachel Macy Stafford
- Balanced: Finding Center as a Work-at-home Mom by Tricia Goyer
- Clean Cuisine: An 8-Week Anti-Inflammatory Diet That Will Change The Way You Age, Look, & Feel by Ivy Ingram Larson and Andrew Larson
There are more on my “books to read” list, but I’m going to start with these. I won’t be able to do nothing except read because we’ll be swimming, seeing “cheap” movies at Cinemark’s Summer Movie Clubhouse, taking advantage of Kids Bowl Free, going to church camp, attending Teach Them Diligently Convention in Dallas, going on an in-state mission trip as a family, and . . .
I’m finally going to settle in and write a book.
If I’m going to really be able to get a lot of this book written in June and July, I’m not going to be able to spend much time blogging, but I don’t want to lose touch with you. So . . .
I’m inviting you to read with me this summer.
You can read one of the books on my list (I hope to read them all but may not get all of them finished), or you can read something you’ve wanted to read for a while. Either way, join me here on Thursdays to chat! I’ll share the books I’ve been reading and what I think about them, what I’ve learned, or how God has spoken to me through them. Then, in the comments, you can do the same about the books you’re reading! We can learn from each other, rejoice in God’s goodness to meet us where we are, and add more books to our reading lists as we hear others’ reading experiences.
If you don’t subscribe to my blog, be sure to do so in the box below or in the sidebar so you’ll receive the reminders to come and participate!
To kick off your reading, I’m giving away two of the books by Tricia Goyer from my list. (Tricia is providing these books for us!)
The giveaway is open to U.S. residents age 18 or older. The winner will be chosen at random using the plug-in And the Winner Is on Sunday, June 1, 2014, at 9:00 pm CDT.
The first winner chosen will receive the book By the Light of the Silvery Moon, and the second winner chosen will receive Blue Like Play Dough. Only one entry (comment) per household. Duplicate entries (comments) and comments left after the giveaway ends will be deleted.
The winners will be notified by email within 24 hours of the end of the giveaway and will have 24 hours to respond and provide me with the requested information so I can pass it on to Tricia, who will send you the book. If I don’t hear from a winner within 24 hours, I will choose another winner.
If you would like to enter this giveaway, please leave a comment and tell me:
What’s the first book you plan to read this summer? Why?
See you next week!