The woman in the photograph isn’t me, but I’m in the same situation. I couldn’t get a really great picture of myself on crutches, so I had to find one for this post. Truthfully, I don’t look or feel as cheerful as the woman in the picture either. It’s HOT, it’s hard to get around on crutches with two children in tow, and I can’t do many of the simplest things I need to do. I’m tired and frustrated.
There are some positive things about being on crutches, however. I thought I’d share a few with you and leave you with a Bible verse to think about this weekend.
First, the benefits of being on crutches:
1. Getting around on crutches is a great upper body workout. (Just ask my arms!)
2. Using crutches works out your abdominal region.
3. I’m using a lot of energy to get around (burning more calories), but . . .
4. . . . it’s not easy to go to the kitchen and get something to eat whenever I think about it, so I’m not eating as much junk!
5. I’ve had to clean out my purse (again) to make it easier to manage.
6. I can’t carry as much stuff “to do” around with me, so I’m spending more time sitting quietly, thinking, praying, and just “being.”
There are more, but those are the ones I thought of all day as I hauled myself around in the heat.
And there’s the verse I carried in my mind today, a verse that has seen me through situations that have been difficult for me emotionally, mentally, and spiritually, as well as physically.
“. . . the joy of the LORD is your strength.” Nehemiah 8:10 (NIV1984)
What Scripture or quote has helped you through hard times?